Below is a list of possible upgrade classes that are offered to Installer/Technicians. For a list of classes being offered at this time, please see the schedule of upgrade classes.
- VDV Exam Prep: Designed to prepare the student for taking the California State VDV Exam.
- Fire/Life Safety Exam Prep: Designed to prepare the student for taking the California State Fire/Life Safety Exam.
- First Aid/CPR: Become American Red Cross certified in First Aid and CPR for the Adult. This course is also considered a safety course that can account for VDV and Fire/Life Safety re-certification.
- Fire Alarm Systems: This course is designed for members who want to learn about Fire Alarm Systems and for those who need to refresh their knowledge and skills. A hands-on laboratory will allow the student to build a fire alarm system to apply what they have learned. This course meets the requirements for Fire/Life Safety re-certification
- OSHA-10: Become OSHA-10 certified. This course includes the study of safety on the job site including: electrical, PPE, ladders and stairways, fall protection, hand and power tools, scaffolds and confined spaces. This course is also considered a safety course that can account for VDV and Fire/Life Safety re-certification.
- OSHA-30: Become OSHA-30 certified. This course contains many of the same topics as the OSHA 10 course but at a more in-depth level. In addition this course also includes: material handling and storage; cranes, derricks, hoists, elevators and conveyors; excavations; fire protection; health hazards in construction. This course is considered a safety course that can account for VDV and Fire/Life Safety re-certification.
- Security/Access Systems: This course is designed for members who want to learn about Security/Access Systems and for those who need to refresh their knowledge and skills. This course includes the study of security systems and the components involved. A hands-on laboratory will allow the student will build a security/access system to apply what they learned. This course meets the requirements for VDV re-certification.
- CCTV: This course includes the advanced study of closed circuit television systems. Students will learn about video camera types, lenses, optics, and lighting characteristics; study signal transmission methods. Students will learn about Plasma, LCD and OLED displays, construct a small scale CCTV system that includes different cameras and switchers which tie into a Pelco DVR. This course also would apply to the 32 hours needed for VDV re-certification.
- CFOT: Certified Fiber Optic Technician is a complete training program covering the basics of fiber optics and hands on experience of terminating fiber optic cable. At the end of this course, the student will receive a certificate of completion with a passing grade on the CFOT test. This course also would apply to the 32 hours needed for VDV re-certification.
- Meter use & Relays: An in-depth focus on relays and the proper use/application of Multi-Meters. The key components, ratings, and function of relays are discussed, providing knowledge of the role relays fulfill in various sound and communication systems.
- DAS: Distributed Antenna Systems class provides essential knowledge regarding system design, installation, and deployment. Students will learn proper termination techniques of specialized connectors and installation methods of associated components.
- Audio Visual: Provides a comprehensive overview of AV systems and components, including boardroom/classroom presentation and live sound reinforcement. Hands-on elements include termination of components, as well as setup, programming, and operation of a Digital Signal Processor.