Apply In Person To Become An ApprenticeThank you for your interest in becoming an Apprentice in the NorCal JATC Sound and Communication program. In addition to submitting an on-line application (coming soon), you can also initiate the process to become an Apprentice by applying in person at one of our 11 locations in Northern California, including: San Francisco; Fresno; Napa; Castroville; Martinez; San Leandro; Sacramento; Santa Rosa; San Jose; Stockton; and San Carlos.
Minimum application requirements include:
- 17 years of age to register, and 18 years of age at the time of selection
- High school graduate or have a G.E.D. or have a two-year Associate Degree or higher
- Valid driver’s license
- Evidence of successful completion of one full year (two semesters) of high school algebra or one semester of college elementary algebra with a minimum grade of “C” or equivalent or provide evidence of having successfully completed the Electrical Training Alliance Tech Math Course (available online at the http://www.electricaltrainingalliance.org )
- Physically and mentally able to safely perform or learn to safely perform essential functions of the job
- Able to get to and from work at job sites, as assigned
- Able and willing to attend all related supplemental instruction, as required
- Able to climb and work from ladders, scaffolds, poles and towers of various heights
- Able to crawl and work in cramped spaces such as attics, manholes, and crawlspaces
- Able to read, hear, and understand instructions and warnings.
- If you are a veteran, submit form DD214 for possible consideration of military training and/or experience, if applicable.
Once your application is completed, you will be scheduled to take the Electrical Trades Aptitude Exam at our Technology Training Center in San Leandro, CA. If you pass the aptitude exam with a score of 4 or higher, you will be invited to an oral interview. Applicants will receive a ranked score based upon their interview. Applicants with the highest scores are placed at the top of a ranked list (this list is always evolving) based on location. As Apprentices are needed, the applicant at the top of the ranked list is offered the opportunity to become an Apprentice. You must also consent to substance abuse screening.
Good luck as your pursue your new career in the Sound and Communication electrical industry!